Wednesday, February 20, 2008

La Ciudad de Mexico

Yesterday I went on a day trip to Mexico City with my Estetica class to visit 3 different art museums. The first one we went to is a temporary exhibit in the Zocalo by Gregory Colbert called "Ashes and Snow". It was by far one of my favorites, I definitely recommend it to everyone if you ever get the chance to go see it. I have some pictures below of some of his work and I got some postcards to put up on my wall. He basically photographs children and wild animals together in the wild. It was only a Tuesday but there were so many people there all day. Afterwards, we went to another museum to see the photography of a man by the name of Henry Peabody and Frida Kahlo's dad. I didn't enjoy that as much even though photography is my favorite type of art. We also saw the exhibition "Viajes por Latinoamerica" by Anni and Josef Albers, a German couple that traveled to Latinamerica. The third museum we went to was Munal where we saw more religious paintings and about the life of Mexican Artist Diego Rivera. I hope to one day soon go to Frida Kahlo's house and see her work.
After about 6 hours of visiting museums, my teacher let us walk around for about two hours. That is when I basically chased two policemen to take a picture with me but I don't think they minded too much since they stopped haha. I also noticed a lot of tourists there, especially English speaking ones. Mexico City is absolutely beautiful. There are sooo many people on the streets at all times but the city is more spread out, unlike in Philadelphia where all the streets are narrow.
I am definitely glad I am taking the art classes because I feel that I am seeing Mexico through a whole different perspective. My teacher who took us yesterday is so nice and so wonderful. She is always asking me if I'm alright and is always willing to help. I really enjoyed spending time with my classmates and actually talking to a few. My German friend Jill was also with us so I spent most of the day with her and Nicole from Penn State. I will definitely go back to Mexico City atleast for a weekend because it is absolutely huge and there is much more to see.
My friend Liz is coming this weekend so I don't think we will be doing any traveling away from Puebla. I am trying to plan a volcano climbing trip for a day. We can't go up the famous and biggest volcano in Puebla obviously because it's still active but the other one is open. I am also looking forward to a weekend trip to Guadalajara and I think we are going to Vera Cruz in April with the International Club because that is also included in my tuition. Well keep looking out for the postcards. I am trying to get a couple everywhere I go so everyone doesn't get the same ones!! Miss you all!!!

No comments: